THE REPUBLIC OF TURKEY
- Turkey is located at a point where Asia, Africa and Europe are closest to each other, and straddle the point where Europe and Asia meet.
- Because of this geographical location, the country has always found favor throughout history, and is the birthplace of Byzantine and Ottoman civilizations.
- Turkey has two European and six Asian countries for neighbours along its land borders. The country is surrounded by sea on three sides, by the Black Sea in the north, the Mediterranean in the south and the Aegean Sea in the west.
- Ankara is the capital city.
- Turkish is the official language.
- The local currency is the Turkish Lira YTL.
1 USD = 1.42 YTL
1 Euro = 1.88 YTL
- The electricity standard is 230 Volts, 50Hz AC throughout Turkey. Plug types are “C” and “F”
For further information, please refer to the following websites:
THE CITY OF ISTANBUL
- Istanbul was the capital city of Ottoman Empire.
The city preserves the magnificence of its history and charms the visitors with its museums, churches, palaces, mosques, bazaar places and natural beauties.
- Istanbul is the only city in the world to straddle two continents, and the only one to have been a capital during two consecutive empires - Christian and Islamic.
- The population of Istanbul amounts to 10 million.
- Istanbul local time is equal to GMT + 2 hours. The time difference with US Eastern Standard Time is +7 hours.
For more information about Istanbul visit the official website:
Or visit an online tourist guide:
Tourist police Tel. (0212) 528 53 69.
Most officers here speak either English or German.
Fire Brigade 110
The information contained in the “Travel Tips for Participants” constitutes neither advice nor the views of the United Nations Organization. The United Nations Organization is not liable for any claims that may arise from the use of the said information.